Ace very good
- He's an ace reporter.
Airhead stupid person
- My sister's boyfriend is a real airhead.
- Do you know where the action is in this town?
all-nighter after studying all night.
- I almost fell asleep during the test after an all-nighter.
- I really need some antifreeze in me on cold days like this.
- The boat was bashed beyond recognition.
- After working all day I am really beat.
Bench taken out of the game
- He was benched during the basketball playoffs.
- It's OK. Don't get so bent.
big mouth talk too much
- Shut up! You really have a big mouth.
big stink big issue
- The citizens made a big stink about the new nuclear power station.
- He blew all his money gambling.
- I'm going to blow out of here now.
- If you make another boo-boo like that, you won't have a job.
- I need some bread to pay for my car.
- A lucky break helped him get the job.
break it up stop
- Break it up, or I will call the police.
- The news of the airplane crash was a bring-down.
- Do you have a buck I can borrow?
- Do you know where the can is?
catch some rays get some sunshine.
- I'm going to lie on the beach and catch some rays.
- That is really a cheesy looking outfit.
- Don't be a chicken.
- That really was a chintzy present you got him.
chow down eat a lot
- I need to find a place to chow down.
Clunker old car
- I can't go on a date in that clunker.
cold fish dull
- My date for the dance was a cold fish.
come up for air take a break
- He has to come up for air or he will die from exhaustion.
- This is a really cool place to work.
cool down calm down
- Things should cool down in a day or two.
couch potato lazy person
- He is a couch potato.
Cram study hard
- I need more time to cram for the test.
Cruise going very fast
- The skier was cruising down the hill
- He has a really cushy job.
- Could you cut my whiskey with a little water?
cut out leave
- It is late. I have to cut out.
-Lets get the bill and find out the damage.
- This disco is really dead tonight.
deck knocked down
- He was decked in the fight.
deep pockets is a good source of money
- Her boyfriend has deep pockets.
- Since the weather is a little dicey, I won't go today.
dirty an obscene
- I hear that it's a dirty movie.
- I'll ditch my younger brother with my grandmother.
do a snow job on deceive
- Don't try to do a snow job on me.
- There are a lot of dope dealers around here.
dope stupid person
- He is such a dope.
dork strange person
- He is such a dork.
- I need some dough before I can go Christmas shopping.
down drink quickly
- Let's go to a bar and down a few beers.
- Doing homework on the weekend is a drag.
dynamite powerful; great
- This drink is really dynamite.
earful a lot of gossip
- My grandmother gave me an earful about the neighborhood.
easy mark likely victims
- The Japanese are an easy mark because they usually carry cash.
- The problem is really eating away at me.
- That's excellent man.
- The two sides were headed for a nasty face-off.
- This music is really far-out.
fix dose of drugs
- The addict needs another fix.
- He is too flaky to do the work.
- At the wedding he had a flashback of his old girlfriend.
- I haven't seen a flick in a long time.
flip out lost control
- He flipped out when he heard that his mother had been killed.
flip side other side
- What kind of music do you have on the flip side of the tape?
fox very attractive
- His older sister is a fox.
- She is a foxy lady.
- The pillow was a freebie
get into something became seriously interested in
- I got into gardening in high school.
get it understand
- I listened to the joke twice, but I still don't get it.
get with it hurry up
- If you don't get with it, we will never finish this work.
- I have a gig on Saturday night from 7:00 to 10:00.
- This computer program has a glitch.
- This is a pretty glitzy hotel to be staying in.
- Let me have a go at solving the problem.
go bananas go crazy
- I am going to go bananas if I don't have a vacation soon.
go down happening
- What is going down?
- I am really a goof at times.
goof up made a serious mistake
- I really goofed up when I painted my room green.
- You are always acting goofy these days.
- Use your gourd to figure out what is happening.
grand thousand dollars
- His salary is twenty grand.
- Lots of students smoke grass in the dormitory.
gravy easy money
- This job is pure gravy.
- This music is groovy.
- Picking your nose is really a gross habit.
gross-out disgusting time
- The party was a gross-out.
- Where is the best place to get some grub around here?
grubby unclean and untidy
- Those clothes are too grubby to wear to the party.
- That is a really grungy jacket.
- The gut issue is about what we are going to do now.
- He got shot in the gut.
- It takes a lot of guts to give the boss your true opinion.
- That was a hairy plane trip. I am glad the storm is over.
- Put the hammer to the floor or we will be late for the wedding.
hang it up quit
- I have decided to hang up my teaching job.
hang loose relax
- Just hang loose for another few days.
hang tough stick with
- We need to hang tough on our decision.
- The police were surprised by all the hardware the gang members had.
have a buzz on was slightly intoxicated
- I had a buzz on after the third martini.
have good vibes feel good about
- I have good vibes about our new secretary.
have it all together feel mentally all there.
- Recently I don't have it all together.
- I heaved up on the floor.
high intoxicated on drugs or alcohol
- The teenagers look high to me.
hip-shooter always talking without thinking
- He is such a hip-shooter.
history something in the past
- I don't have any idea where my old boyfriend is. He's history.
- Your proposal was a hit with the boss.
hole up hide
- I had to hole up for three days because the police were looking for me.
- The honcho says that we are going to have to give up two days of our vacation.
- Her clothes make her look like a hooker.
- The police stopped them because they thought the car was hot.
- I will do it soon so please don't get huffy.
hungry eager to make money
- If you are not hungry, you won't get ahead in the business.
hustle hurry up
- If you don't hustle, we will be late again.
- The fans were all hyped up for the football game.
hyper over excited
- Don't get hyper about what she told you. You know it isn't true.
in deep deeply involved
- They are really in deep with each other.
in the bag settled
- Everything is in the bag. There is nothing to worry about.
- This is a very intense situation we are discussing.
- I am glad you got yourself out of that jam.
Jerk someone around wasting my time and causing me trouble
- Recently it seems like everyone is jerking me around.
jock an athlete
- My roommate is a jock for the basketball team.
- The john really smells.
joint marijuana cigarettes
- He is good at rolling joints.
joint cheap bar
- Where is the closest joint to here.
junkie drug addict
- Sam is a junkie.
just off the boat naive
- He acts like he is just off the boat.
keep one's cool remained calm
- He kept his cool when his house burned down.
Kegger beer party
- I hear there is a kegger at John's house tonight.
- I get a kick out of watching him paint.
klutz stupid and clumsy person
- He is a real klutz.
- Don't knock it if you can't do it any better.
knocked up pregnant
- My dog gets knocked up once a year.
knockout stunning person
- Who was that knockout I saw you with last Friday?
knuckle sandwich punch in the mouth
- Shut up or I'll give you a knuckle sandwich.
kook strange people
- Watch out for all the kooks in this neighborhood.
laid-back calm and relaxed
- You need to be more laid-back.
lame an inadequate
- That is really a lame excuse.
- I have heard that line a million times.
loser annoying and useless
- John is a loser.
love handles rolls of fat around my stomach
- I exercise every day, but I can't get rid of these love handles.
make waves cause trouble
- Try not to make waves around the office.
maxed out exhausted
- I am maxed out at my work and need to rest.
mean performs well on
- He plays a mean violin.
- I have mega amounts of tomatoes in my garden this summer.
megabucks a lot of money
- He made megabucks when he sold his company.
mellow calm down and relax
- You need to mellow out and enjoy life.
meltdown total collapse
- There has been a meltdown in the relationship between my parents and me.
mickey mouse nonsense and a waste of time
- The homework the teacher gave us was mickey mouse.
move on someone pick up and seduce
- I am going to try to move on Sarah next Saturday.
- That is total mush and you know it.
nark drug police
- Watch out for the narks in the airport.
- That was a neat idea that you had.
negative bad things
- There are too many negatives about the company merger.
- The police nicked the shoplifter as he was leaving the store.
nip a quick drink
- He took a nip out of the bottle.
no sweat no problem
- It's no sweat to have the report in to you by Monday.
nuke nuclear weapons
- Does that attack plane have any nukes?
nuke heat up in the microwave
- I'll nuke our dinner in a few minutes.
nut crazy person
- I think that he is a nut.
pad a place to live
- Have you found a pad yet?
pain in the neck annoying
- My wife's best friend is a pain in the neck.
paper-pusher bureaucratic office workers
- My office is filled with paper-pushers.
party animal love parties
- You're too old to be a party animal.
- We need to party-hearty because we just got a raise in salary.
- Get your paws off of my body.
peanuts practically no money
- I am not going to work for peanuts.
- He gets pickled after only one beer.
piece of cake easy to do
- Working on a computer for me is a piece of cake.
pig eats too much
- He is a pig at parties.
pig out eat a lot or overeat
- Let's go to the restaurant and pig out.
pit stop stop and go to the bathroom
- Let's make a pit stop at the next rest area.
- He drinks too much and is always plastered on the weekend.
pooped out quit
- He pooped out after we started to do the hard work.
- Shut up or I will pop you.
pop for something buy
- It is my turn to pop for the doughnuts.
- He is really a pro at his work.
- Can you give me a gentle prod next week so I won't forget?
psyched up mentally ready
- The players are really psyched up for the game on Friday.
psycho mentally ill
- She is a psycho. She should be in a hospital.
- I feel like I am going to puke.
push off leave
- I am going to push off now.
put the moves on seduce
- You should give up trying to put the moves on her. She is married.
- It was an elaborate put-on which I almost believed.
- Who is going to quarterback the meeting?
quick buck some easy money
- I need to make a quick buck.
- I have to hit the rack by ten or I'll be tired in the morning.
rack out sleep
- I am going to rack out for two hours.
- There sure was a lot of racket outside last night.
- I can't believe we still get this same old rag.
rap talk about
- We need to sit down and rap about a few things.
rathole run down place
- When are you going to be able to move out of that rathole?
- The raw office workers were not getting much done.
ream someone out got angry with him
- The boss really reamed him out for his bad report.
red hot important
- Your idea is really red hot.
- Hey, don't repo my car. I will pay next week.
- The circus was really rinky-dink.
- The comedy program was a real riot.
road hog takes up too much of the road
- That driver is a road hog.
rocks with ice
- Would you like your whiskey on the rocks?
rough time hard time
- We have had a rough time this winter.
- Is that a rug on his head?
rug rat children
- My sister has three rug rats.
- My wife rules the house.
run off at the mouth talking too much
- He is always running off at the mouth.
run out of gas lost interest or momentum
- The politician ran out of gas during the campaign.
sack go to bed
- When did you hit the sack last night?
- Don't lose your money in some kind of scam.
scarf ate quickly
- Since he hadn't eaten in a week, he scarfed down everything on his plate.
- What a stupid schmuck.
screw around waste time
- If you screw around all day at this work, you will have to come back again.
screw up make a mistake
- If you screw up one more time, I will fire you.
- He is very sharp with numbers
- I'll give the puzzle another shot.
shot down disagreed with
- Everyone shot down my idea at first, but later agreed that it was a good idea.
- The police threw them both in the slammer.
- Try not to get smashed at the beer party.
smoke eater fireman
- My father is a smoke eater.
- It is time to split and go see the movie.
- The cows were spooked by the howling of the wolves.
- Do you want rice or spuds for dinner?
- My father looks square in his jacket.
steamed up angry
- Don't get so steamed up over the issue.
stink is repulsive
- This whole operation stinks.
- I want you to give me a straight answer.
- I am really stressed by all the recent world events.
sucker be deceived
- Don't be a sucker.
take a hike leave
- I am tired of all your complaining. Take a hike.
taken cheated out of
- He was taken for all his money at the casino.
taking care of business doing what I have to do
- I have been taking care of business.
- Those look like expensive threads he is wearing.
tool around drive around
- I don't want to tool around all night. It is time to go home.
Totaled completely wrecked
- My car was totaled in the accident with the garbage truck.
up happy and cheerful
- He has been up ever since he met his new girlfriend.
up for grabs available.
- This is a sale. Everything is up for grabs.
veg out relax and do nothing
- I want to veg out in front of the television this evening.
- He really gives off good vibes.
wad bundle of money
- You don't want to carry a wad like that with you in the big city.
- After you waste him, throw the body in the river.
- If you let me borrow your wheels, I'll go out and buy a pizza.
whiz talented person
- He is a whiz at the computer.
- I am really wired after drinking five cups of coffee.
wussy weak person
- Don't be such a wussy all the time. Say what you are thinking.
- This food tastes yukky
- I am too zapped to help you right now.
- He knew zip about running the company.
|Всего комментариев: 0|